March 14, 2005

Tomato Paste

For the life of me, I am unable to define the core value or concept of the new economic policy in Libya or the direction it is headed. The first thing the Libyan Legna Shabia Aama (Prime Minster Government) did about the new economy was to lift the subsidy on food products such as cooking oil, milk and tomato paste. Way to go reformer! I have always known from living in the west that the easiest changes the government can make are the ones that affect the poorest of the poor, and Libya is no different.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere it's good to see more libyans blogging .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright... I always trail highlander, don't I. No, I'm not a stalker, just a fan.

    Regarding reforms, it depends actually on the country. In a lot of places (Egypt, Jordan) lifting subsidies on bread led to rioting. Actually in Great Britian, too, way back when. I guess what I'm saying is that this could actually lead to a 'deal breaker' of sorts between people and the government in Libya. It's true that the poor are easiest to take from, but it's also true that they're usually the most feared politically (if they organize, at least).

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tomato paste and other goods that they have been having in the jamiah are awful - better to buy them in the shops and get quality.

    Please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx for the comments guys, i have been very busy with school and all, but i promise to post more comments soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hum..... living here in Libya and I didn't even know that we had " lost" our subsides. Typical isn't it . If you are isolated as I am , you don't get the latest gossipe , i.e. the news ! To tell you the truth , it has been years since our Jemeyah has had things like tomato paste. oil , or milk. The guy actualy told me to go to the store to buy it !I guess thats because they took the consignment for our area and sold it on the market ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats sad.

    If they are gonna hike the prices then why dont they raise peoples salaries.

    ReplyDelete